Our first days home have been busy. Wednesday night was actually pretty uneventful. We were still under instructions from the doctors and nurses to not let Ben sleep past 4 hours during the night to make sure he gets enough calories to get back up to his birth weight. We fed him twice during the night and he went back to sleep without too much of a struggle.
Thursday was fairly relaxing. Adam took Carter to the Children's Museum. Mimi did some yard work. I spent most of the day feeding and resting. It was just good to be home!
Ben got his first bath on Thursday night. At the very end of the bath I realized we had taken no pictures of this "first" for Ben. Let the second child lack of pictures begin. Just before we were done, I grabbed the camera and took a quick picture.
Thursday night wasn't quite as restful. I think Ben's digestive system was processing the new diet and he had some gas and then 3 dirty diapers before morning. We nursed a lot, rocked a lot, and we finally put him in his bassinet around 4:00 a.m. Old perspective - how am I going to do this? I just missed 6 hours of precious sleep! New perspective - We made some progress on figuring out his cries and his digestive system. We enjoyed some sweet night time feeding and snuggling. A Friday afternoon nap is a MUST!
Friday was our first venture out. We had a check up with the pediatrician. They were prepared for Ben to have lost another ounce or two since his birth, but were hopeful that he would have gained a half ounce or so since his hospital discharge weight. I think we were all pleasantly surprised when the scale said he had put on 4 ounces since the morning we left the hospital! Everything seemed to check out well at his check-up. Then we had a great session with a lactation specailist. Feeding is already going so much better than with Carter. For one, I was just more comfortable holding a newborn and getting him in the right position. I also think my body is just better prepared this second time around. Whatever it is - I am very thankful and hope it continues!
After the doctor, we went home and picked up Carter and Mimi for Carter's last Romp-n-Roll class. I had originally planned on staying home with Ben, but got a bit sentimental over missing his last class so we all loaded up in the car and headed to play. Carter had a blast especially with Dada and Mimi at his class and I was so glad to be there too.
We have been spoiled these last few days. Mimi has been taking care of EVERYTHING around the house. Friends and neighbors have brought food. Adam's office sent some beautiful flowers and this yummy edible arrangement. We are so appreciative of all of the help and congratulations we have received from so many!
Last night went better than the night before. We struggled (as we did with Carter) with the 7-10 at night window. It was always tough for us to get Carter calm during this time, and Ben seemed to have the same idea last night. I decided to do a double feed around 9:30 in hopes he would fall asleep and we could all get some good rest. We were told at his check-up that we no longer needed to wake him at night, that he could be in charge of his own night time feeding schedule. So we were really excited as we headed to bed around 10:30. Little did we know that Ben would wake up at 11:15! Oh no. Here we go again. I was getting ready to feed again just to make sure he got enough, when I heard a big squirt. Turns out he needed to have a dirty diaper before bed time. Once we got him changed and back to sleep, he slept until 4:15! Not expecting it again tonight. But to have a long night followed by a good night is such a treat. We struggled a bit getting him back to sleep after this feeding, so we asked Mimi to rock him a bit while we slept some more. Next thing we knew, it was 7:30 and the house was still quiet! Thank you Mimi!
It is now Saturday morning. The weather is gorgeous outside. It is the first day of college football. Life is good.
Life is indeed good, and just got better reading about my new little buddy and his family. Keep up the good work, and the telling us about it. Hang in there with those tough nights. It is a joy to see and hear about Carter's reaction to his little Brother.
ReplyDeleteTracy, this is all awesome news! Sounds like little Ben is taking to the family beautifully. I second your thoughts that nursing subsequent babies is easier. It really is. You're old hat now, sister, welcome to the club!! :)
ReplyDeleteWe would love to come by and meet the fella! Perhaps on Labor Day?! I will send you a text or give you a call!! Blessings to you all regardless of when we see you! Have a great one!