Materials Needed:
Box of 64 Crayons
Heart shaped muffin/cupcake molds
Step 1: Remove all of the paper from the crayons. This is by far the most tedious and time consuming part of the process. I enjoyed some mindless reality tv while peeling away.
Step 2: Break crayons into smaller pieces.
Carter helped me sort the crayons into different stacks by color.
Step 3: Arrange pieces of crayons in muffin mold. We did approximately 2 layers of crayons in each mold.
Step 4: Bake. I experimented with a couple of different options. For the first round, I heated oven to 350 then turned the oven off as soon as I put the crayons in the oven. I waited and waited but the crayons didn't seem to be melting enough, so I turned the oven back on to 250.
The second time around I just started at 250 and kept setting the timer for 2 minutes at a time to check the progress. That is my best advice, just stay close and watch. You will know when they are done.
Step 5: Pull out of the oven and set to cool. Do this very carefully. The more you shake the pan the more the colors will blend together and become an ugly brownish/grey hodgepodge.
I used a toothpick and swirled some of the colors together before they completely cooled.
Step 6: Give them to your kids and let them color away!
We gave these as part of Carter's Valentines for his preschool party. Here are a few pictures from the party.
I got there just a few minutes late, and Carter had already devoured his cupcake and was drinking his juice superfast. He loves party days at school!
And he LOVES his teachers...
Happy Valentines!
I betcha Carter wished a different occasion for celebration came each week. Great idea on the crayons. As usual, super mom.
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute idea!!! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteGreat job!! Love Carter's smiles
ReplyDeleteHow cute! I actually wanted to make these this year, but never could find heart shaped cupcake molds - only ice cube molds. Bummer. Where did you find yours??
ReplyDeleteHope to see you soon!
xoxo
I found some of the cupcake cups at Michaels today! Hooray!
ReplyDelete