May 25, 2011

Our First Fruit

I know, I know, it's been awhile. Sorry grandparents. Lots of stories to share - hope to find time to get to them all soon.

First up - our first fruit!

We picked some blueberries off of our bush this morning and they were tasty. We planted our only blueberry bush in 2008, so this is its third year, and so far it is the most fruitful year. Typically, you need at least 2 blueberry bushes near each other to cross pollinate each other. But, we only had room for one bush, so we purchased a self-pollinating variety and so far so good! I am sure we would have more fruit if we had more bushes, but we are pleased with our one bush so far.





Carter counted our pickings this morning.



Then he shared them will all of us.



Well, almost all of us. Ben isn't quite ready for blueberries (but he is enjoying strawberries and cantaloupe now!)

And here is a sneak peek of the rest of our garden.



It has really taken off. It needs some work this weekend, but I am hopeful to have more to share soon.

1 comment:

  1. Good job on the garden, and blueberry bush. I love watching little Carter and Ben learn new things. Ben has that look of "now exactly WHY can I not have one?"

    ReplyDelete