October 15, 2012

An Unexpected Visitor

A couple of weeks ago I was fixing the boys' snacks and I heard something.  After listening carefully I decided the noise was coming from the laundry room...which is right next to the pantry.  I also decided that the noise sounded louder than a mouse...which was my first guess. 

I called Adam...who had just biked to work 30 minutes earlier...and asked him to come home.  I was convinced something was in there and it did not sound small. 

Adam probably thought I was crazy but he biked home and stood at the laundry room listening for the loud noise I promised I heard.  Of course it was quiet.  For a long time.  I started to second guess myself...but then Adam admitted he heard a "little" noise.

So he got to work.  He brought up gloves, our big picture boxes to try to trap whatever was in there in the kitchen area...and he started going through the laundry room one step at a time.



Thankfully...nothing had come running out of the laundry room yet.

After another 10 minutes of unsuccessful looking...Adam shook the dryer vent and heard the rustling again. So whatever was in there was in the silver dryer vent. So the good news was that it was currently trapped.

Adam got a garbage bag to try to catch the critter. And as soon as he shook it down into the bag...the bag started flapping around. It was a bird! In our dryer vent.



Adam took it outside and let it go...



Now...I wish the story ended there. But the silly bird came back. We were standing in the kitchen a few nights later and heard some chirping pretty close by. I sent Adam outside with a flashlight and I turned on the dryer. Within just a couple of minutes the bird flew out of our dryer vent. Apparantly he likes our new home too.

So the next weekend Adam bought some wire vent covers and attached them to each vent opening. Hopefully the problem is now solved for good.



And here are Daddy's helpers...

Ben counting the vents for Daddy...



And Carter running around with bags on his hands...trying to ski down the hill with the bags on his feet...and just being silly and adorable as usual.



I am so thankful it was a bird and not what I originally feared. At the same time I am thankful there was something in there and that I didn't call Adam home from work for nothing. And I am also thankful we found him when we did. I don't think he could fly out from where he was...so I am thankful we were able to set him free as opposed to the alternative if we didn't find him until it was too late. Yay for Adam!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Daddy, the hero!! We've had some feathered friends in our vents too and you definitely DON'T want the nests clogging the ducts. Hello dryer fires! Glad you stopped it early! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got that taken care of. That is one TALL ladder.

    ReplyDelete