Some of you might remember that two years ago on Christmas Eve Carter came down with the stomach bug in the middle of the night. And last year Adam and I were both so miserable with head colds that we made back to back doctor appointments pleading for medicine to help us feel well enough to enjoy the holidays. Well, this year was no different and I guess it was Ben's turn.
On a Friday afternoon Ben woke with a 102.6 fever and that morning his cough sounded pretty nasty so in to the doctor we went. They heard rattling in his chest and put him on a z-pack.
We suffered through 2 long nights with fevers up to 104.9. Poor thing was so hot...all the way to his fingertips.
We faithfully alternated between Tylenol and Motrin and just tried to make him comfortable. On Sunday...he was still very puny so back to the doctor we went.
That shot was from the doctor's office on Sunday. The doctor was convinced he had the flu from looking at him...but the test came back negative (which was miserable for Ben...they stick that q-tip thing way too far up your nose if you ask me!) At this point he had been on z-pack for over 48 hours so there should have been improvement. So the next thing she did was test his white blood count which thankfully came back normal. So she sent us back home and told us to come back Tuesday if he wasn't any better.
The next two days were a LOT of "mama hold me" and "mama can I sit in your lap" or just a pitiful look with his arms outstretched for me to pick him up. Poor thing.
See, I have the pictures to prove it. My ALWAYS active boy was nothing but still and uncomfortable.
On Tuesday morning he showed signs of improvement...but that afternoon he woke from his nap in pain. I could just tell something was not right. He would be ok for a few minutes and then would scream in pain. So, yes, once again back to the doc we went.
This time he had an ear infection. They loaded us up with more meds and ear drops and sent us on our way again. (Once again, the doc said all of his symptoms pointed to flu...so maybe he had a strain that didn't show up on the test?)
Thankfully, that helped us turn the corner. By Wednesday morning he started to show signs of improvement. He even ate a popsicle! And smiled about it!
Even though it was a pretty tough bug...I am thankful that it came a week before Christmas and he was back to himself by Christmas morning.
Looking forward to 2013...despite a few bumps in the road...I am so thankful for our health!
UPDATE: just found another picture of Ben sick and I had forgotten all about it! At our first dr. visit they thought Ben's coughing might be asthma related so he got a breathing treatment. He did great with it...and turns out he does not have asthma so we shouldn't have to do it again. But just another piece of the story that I wanted to include.
No comments:
Post a Comment