April 17, 2009

Fun with Family

It has been a fun-filled few days for Carter and me. We flew down south early Wednesday morning to visit cousins, grandparents, etc. for a few days. This was my first time to fly solo with Carter and it went better than I expected. Although one of my fears did come true (he had a dirty diaper in flight) we both made it on time and without any tears. Once Carter had finished his business on the second flight I asked the flight attendant what my options were for changing his diaper. She told me I could use the itsy bitsy bathroom as a changing room by lowering the toilet lid and straddling Carter while I changed him. Or, I could find an empty row of seats and lay him out there. Neither of those options sounded ideal so I went for option #3 - wait until we land. The flight was only 25 minutes, so this really did seem like the best option. Once we landed, I headed straight for the ladies room. I looked all over for the changing table and finally figured out it was this fancy stainless steel contraption in the wall. I thought I was all set and then I realized the changing table would not lower unless I deposited 4 quarters. WHAT? Have you ever heard of a changing table you have to pay to use? I did not have 4 quarters nor did I want to pay to use the changing table, so I found an empty terminal and gave Carter a clean diaper. He was a trooper through it all.

Once we got settled at his cousins' house, Carter started grinning ear to ear and hasn't stopped yet. His 18 month and 4 1/2 year old cousins are full of energy and are constantly entertaining our little man. Robert, the 4 1/2 year old has been super with Carter. When he first saw Carter he laid down on his stomach and perched his chin in his hands and just stared at Carter and talked to him so sweetly. He has also fed Carter his cereal, given him lots of toys to play with, and loves to watch him crawl around. Jack was a little unsure of this new baby in the house. After all, he is used to being the baby and probably likes it that way. But, this morning we sat Carter and Jack next to each other in their high chairs and they kept reaching out at each other (probably trying to get whatever the other one was eating!) Jack also started bringing Carter toys to play with this morning. A very sweet sharer for the young age of 18 months. Jack would keep the bigger car for himself and give Carter the smaller car to play with.

Check out this picture of the Cousin Band - Robert on guitar and harmonica, Jack on the maracas, and Carter playing with the ribbon attached to the tambourine. It was a lovely musical concoction.

It probably goes without saying that Carter's grandparents have been gushing right and left. But, just in case you were wondering, they have been doing just that. I have plenty more pictures I will share with you once we get back home, just wanted to give you a quick update of what we are up to.

Carter and I are really looking forward to seeing Daddy who arrives tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coming. Not only is it wonderful to see my daughter, but also to see the difference in the young man after only three months. Next time we get to see him he'll be walking. A miracle baby.

    ReplyDelete