December 27, 2009

Boxing Day

As the year winds down and the playroom and closets fill up, it's time to clear out some space. And this morning at church someone mentioned Boxing Day. I'd seen this holiday listed on the calendar the day after Christmas, but had no idea what it was about. I imagined some Charles Dickens-era holiday devoted to bare-fisted brawls. Although the exact origin is a bit fuzzy, it turns out that the day is not for hand-to-hand combat, but is a British holiday focused on giving to service workers and/or the less fortunate.

And so, with closets and toy boxes overflowing, we're giving a nod to Boxing Day and we've started the purge. Infant toys are packed away, replaced by bigger toddler toys from a very generous christmas (thanks grandparents, family, oh and Santa). Closets and drawers have a little more room. And we've got a pile of stuff ready for Goodwill and the church's community closet.


FYI: This is Adam writing. I am hoping to make more regular contributions to the ATL Post. In case you didn't know, you can check the bottom of each post to see who posted it.

1 comment:

  1. Regardless of how hard you try, I bet the acquisitions for YC continue to pile up. In fact, if there is anything he needs, let me know.

    ReplyDelete