November 12, 2009

When it Rains it Pours

This is our theme for the week - not by choice - but we're hanging in there.

First, you may remember a few weeks ago how I was bragging on Adam for leaving at 5:30 everyday to come home and spend time with Carter. Well, this week has been another tough work week for him. A really tough work week. Four big projects piled up at once and they all needed to be completed yesterday. He has been up past midnight every night this week and even put in a full day at the office this past weekend. I think he is down to just two of those projects and I am really hopeful for him that the other two are done and won't bubble back up like projects always seem to do. So, hang in there Adam. You are doing a great job and Carter and I appreciate every minute we get to spend with you.

The other downpour comes from Ida. It has been raining non-stop for close to 48 hours and the forecast is calling for another 1-2 inches tonight on top of the 4 inches we have already received - some of which is in our basement. When the water table gets saturated, water starts to seep through the cracks in our basement floor. Thankfully, we have a good drain in the basement and most of the water flows to the drain. Still, it makes me nervous as soon as I start to see the wet spots - especially when I know we still have inches of rain ahead of us. Here is what our basement looks like right now:



Does anybody see anything wrong with this picture?



You should not be able to see the reflection of your basement lights in your basement floor!

But, I think I know the culprit behind our soggy basement. We have lived here for one and a half years and have seen water in the basement 4 times. 2 of these times happened in the past month. We had another week full of rain just a couple of weeks ago. On Sunday morning, Adam ran down to the basement to get some socks out of the dryer and saw the water starting to come in. So, he stayed at home while Carter and I went to church and he re-organized the basement and got everything up off of the floor by a couple of inches. Who knew his reorganizing would come in handy so soon - thank you Adam!!!

But, back to the culprit. Earlier this fall when Poppa and Nana came up for a visit, they brought Adam's kayak which had been in storage at Poppa's house for the last 3 years.



So, I think this kayak is our soggy basement culprit and Adam, I think it is time for you to find some water to put this kayak in other than our basement!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment