January 23, 2013

Our Trip to the Zoo...in January

It is hard to believe that we went to the zoo on a warm sunny day just a couple of weeks ago.  But we did...and it was great!  I had been with the boys once before but this was our first trip with Adam and it was just one of those wonderful days to spend together as a family.   Sure...it was exhausting...and the boys were pretty fussy at the end...but what a treat to take a quick road trip and explore so many different animals. 

Here are some shots from our trip...

They have a really cool playground in the zoo that looks like a giant garden...lots of vines and leaves...and of course a spider web to climb on!



We saw puffins...gators...snakes...black bears...and then found a very friendly bison (statue).



This zoo is different from the zoos we have visited in the past (Birmingham/Atlanta/DC)in that it is in the middle of nowhere. It is less than 2 hours from Raleigh, Charlotte, and Greensboro...but not in the middle of a big city. So the animals really have quite a bit of land to roam and explore.



There was a really cool dessert dome which was pretty warm...



But the gorilla exhibit was my favorite! Two babies! And they were active!



The boys got to make some zoo money...this might have been the highlight for them. :)



And we played a game of human candy land.



This is at the very end of our journey...Ben looks like he's done! (or at least done with my taking pictures!)



The zoo is so large that there are two entrances...you walk the entire length of the zoo once and then gladly catch the tram back to the beginning to get your car. I guess 2 miles or so in length?

When I got home that night I had a coupon in my inbox from Shutterfly for a free photo book. I uploaded the pictures from our day at the zoo and yesterday my "free" book showed up in the mail. (I had to pay $9.40 for shipping...but still a good deal in my opinion.) It turned out great...here are some pics of the finished product. I think the boys thought it was neat to have a real book with them in it! And the quality was great - highly recommend!



1 comment:

  1. The boys, by the time they grow up, will have so many wonderful memories of the things their parents did for them while growing up, not only through what they remember, but what the photographs will help them remember. Cudos to Tracy and Adam.

    ReplyDelete