Here is the Valentine garland I made...I hung some from the windows in our kitchen and some on our mantle in the living room...and it took less than an hour!
I started with several sheets of red, pink, and white felt. Next I cut each sheet into 3 vertical strips. I took each strip and folded it in half and just freehand cut out half of a heart shape on the fold. I did this while watching tv...it was pretty mindless. Next I made 3 stacks of hearts by color on my sewing table and started feeding them through the sewing machine...and voila...a sweet garland.
For the boys' valentines I gave in to a trend. I have seen mustaches everywhere but thought it was just a silly fad and really didn't think it was all that cute. That is until I saw an idea of making lollipop mustache covers for valentines. I caved. And this is what I came up with...
I created some cards on the computer to attach to the lollipops and the boys got to color in the mustache/lips and write their name.
And here are the boys on Valentine's Day enjoying their lollipops from each other.
On Valentine's morning the boys surprised me with flowers...
And we opened some fun Valentine's from all the grandparents too...
That morning I took the boys to Krispy Kreme for a donut treat...
And then to the local children's museum where we made towns...
And had quite the construction leader...
The boys gave me several Valentine's throughout the day...
After reading all of the above...I realized I painted the oh-so-perfect Valentine's...but thinking back on the day it was a tough day. We were going through a bad spout with the boys behavior wise and I am pretty sure Adam didn't even fix the meal he had planned for us on Valentine's night because we were both so drained from the afternoon/bedtime routine that day. I had several $ store surprises in a bag for the boys that morning and Carter (who is usually the most happy-go-lucky-sweet-kind hearted kid) took one thing out of the bag, threw it on the ground and said "I didn't want that!" Well, that shocked me and hurt me. We had some serious talks and I think it got through but the rest of the day still had difficult moments. Adam and I tried to stay consistent with our discpline and responses and thankfully the phase passed...but it was a fun...but also difficult day. Just wanted to mention that...even though I post about a lot of fun things...there are plenty of struggles too.
Great Blog! The good and the tough. The boys are fortunate to be a part of such creative celebrations, but are boys nevertheless. Discipline is tough, not to discipline is tougher. You guys are doing a great job, firm and loving. I admire your patience in dealing with the tough times. I was always too quick to react.
ReplyDelete