February 10, 2009

Weekend Update

We had a good visit from Gram this past weekend. She arrived by airplane for the first time…which greatly limited the amount of Carter stuff she was able to bring. But she managed to find room for a cute Valentine’s Day onesie, book, and a couple of other small goodies. However, these goodies almost didn’t make it to Carter. We were just about to get in the car when mom examined the suitcase she grabbed at baggage claim a little more closely. We almost brought home a bag full of Fred’s clothes, not Gram’s. She obviously was paying more attention to her handsome grandson than her huggage! (but how can you blame her, really?) I quickly ran the suitcase back to baggage claim but there were no suitcases left! I located the Delta baggage service desk where I found Fred and Gram’s bag. Fred was glad to have his luggage and I was glad to grab Gram’s and be on my way.

The rest of the weekend was much more uneventful. Carter showed off all of his latest tricks and gave Gram many hugs. One of his newest tricks that makes mommy and daddy laugh hysterically involves bathtime. I wish I could show you by video but Carter might not appreciate a video of him taking a bath on the internet, so I will do my best to describe it. After Adam washes Carter’s hair he uses a plain old plastic cup full of water to wash away the soap. Adam has recently been teaching Carter a little ‘cause and effect’ lesson by then filling the cup with water again and then pouring the water on Carter’s tummy. The first few times Adam did this Carter just studied the water and then grabbed at the cup so he could put it in his mouth. But lately, when Adam starts pouring the water on his tummy Carter kicks his legs as strong as possible, giggles and squeals, and makes the biggest splashes possible for a small baby tub. It is a loud and messy affair, but absolutely hilarious. As soon as Adam stops pouring water Carter is still and calm. But when that water starts pouring again, it is nothing but laughter and splashing. There is no way I am describing it as funny as it is, so you will just have to either use your imagination or trust me on this one.

In other Carter news, he is so close to crawling. He can now get on his knees and rock back and forth. When I try to lay him on his tummy he now lands on his hands and knees. We have also introduced carrots and peaches to his dining menu – he loves them both, of course. When we go out to eat we can now ask for a high chair. And when I go grocery shopping I can now place him in the front of the grocery cart. He is transitioning to 9 month clothing as well. His 6 month shirts fit him around the belly, but the sleeves are kind of three quarter length – is that as stylish for a baby as it is for ladies shirts? His 6 month pants started to look like capris, so he is definitely wearing 9 month pants - or no pants at all so we can enjoy his pudgy but adorable thighs.

The weather this weekend was amazing – bright, sunny, and unseasonably warm. We took a stroll through the neighborhood and spent some time in the backyard planning our garden. Before we can plant anything though, we have to fight our wire grass battle, or shall I say war. We fought a few battles last year with intense weeding and later newspaper laying under mulch. The wire grass won those battles, but if Adam has anything to say about it, and let me assure you he does, the wire grass will NOT win the war. Our next attempt will be some weed defense fabric. If anyone reading this blog has any experience or success stories at fighting wire grass, please share!!! More to come on garden planning later…we have some fun ideas in the works.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you could Skype a bath one night. Would like to see that. Glad you had a good visit with Gram. Really looking forward to April to see you and YC. Good luck with the wiregrass. Hope the google sites help. That plant has a tremendous root system that must be totally removed if you want to be wiregrass free. And thanks for the new pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GG - Love the pic of him on Adam's shoulders. I wouldn't want to cover up those cute thighs, calfs and toes, either.

    ReplyDelete