July 22, 2009

Poppa's House

I first came to Poppa's house (at the time, Mr. Lovelady's house) back in college. Just an hour or so away, Adam and I would visit on weekends and during exam time to "study." When Poppa bought his lake house it was a small cabin with a couple of bedrooms and an incredible view of the water. Over the years he has added a bedroom here a potting shed there to create quite the relaxing yet fun home. I spent some time taking a few pictures of some of my favorite spots and thought you might like to see them too.

We'll start at the garden area. Adam helped his dad one morning pick some produce and some weeds as well as till a patch for some new beans, squash, and tomatoes.



A few years ago Poppa decided he needed a place to hold all of his gardening tools near the garden so he constructed this adorable potting shed.



I am sure he didn't have the word "adorable" in mind when he came up with the plans - but there is so much detail and charm involved that it turned out perfect.



It has a sink, lots of tools, and it holds the most important tool at the lake - a Robert-sized wheelbarrow. Robert loves to pick up pine cones around the lake and wheel them away or do whatever other fun tasks Adam or Poppa ask him to help with.

Check out these peppers - they made our pepper steak dinner the other night very tasty.



As Poppa's oldest grandson (Robert) started walking and exploring, Poppa added a super fast slide and climbing wall to the side of the deck.



Carter had his first and twentieth slide ride all in the same day. Loved it. He also enjoyed climbing on the rock wall. We have been working on his climbing skills at Romp n Roll, and he is doing great. He can reach for the next ledge and pull himself up - with close support of course.

Here is a close up of the pirate ship I mentioned yesterday.



Just off of the screen porch is this beautiful waterfall. I am not sure if it was this project or perhaps the rock walls around the hydrangea plants that made Poppa say "I am never moving rocks again!" It is pretty soothing to sit in the screen porch and just listen to the water pouring over the rocks.

Speaking of hydrangea plants...


We are a few weeks late to see them in full bloom but look at these bushes and imagine them in the fullest bluest blooms you can. I found one bloom still hanging on...



So those are just a few of my favorite spots...hope you enjoyed the tour.

2 comments:

  1. Seems like a little slice of heaven situated on the lake. He seems to have done quite a lot in the five years you have been married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best addition to the lake house has been the visit of my little buddy, Carter. What a fun little guy. It was great to see mommy, daddy and Carter play in the water

    ReplyDelete