July 15, 2009

Things are growing...

I realized the other night when I picked our first big red tomato that I had not taken pictures or written about our garden progress in some time - so last night I took a few pictures while Adam was doing a little bit of weeding.

Here are the cucumbers and tomatoes. Our poor cucumbers started growing up the tomato plants before we gave them some stakes to grow on.

But they seem to be doing well despite our initial neglect. There are many flowers and a few baby cucumbers.

Our tomato plants are doing well so far too. We have enjoyed several cherry tomatoes and each plant has several green tomatoes in progress. We got a little impatient and fried a green tomato recently too with some squash. Yummy.

Here is a shot of the full garden. You can see the soaker hoses snaking in and out of the boxes. Adam did a fantastic job of laying the soaker hose throughout the boxes. All I have to do is turn on the spicket and it waters just where we need it to.

Adam was busy chopping down some weeds just behind the fence that were climbing through the fence posts and latching on to our veggies. Can you find him in the picture?

The middle box is all flowers - it is taking a bit longer than I expected. But check out this zinnia bud that is so close to opening.

Unfortunately our squash plants did not make it. They were attacked by squash borers which start within the stem and destroy the root system and main vines. Our plants were huge and just started to flower when the borers got the best of them. Second year in a row. Will have to figure out a solution next year because we love squash! But in the meantime we will be enjoying mater sandwiches, BLTs, bruschetta and other tomato goodies for the next few weeks to come!

2 comments:

  1. I was just wondering how your garden was doing. We seem to have the same luck when it comes to growing things. Our squash and zucchini never made it either, except they were attacked by powdery mildew. I tried several organic remedies, but couldn't coerce myself to spray a pesticide on them, especially knowing we were going to eventually consume them. However, our container tomatoes and basil are going gangbusters! Congrats on your juicy tomatoes and cucumbers :)

    ReplyDelete