Some of you may remember these three stockings. They hung on our mantle last year and we used a picture of them on our Christmas cards to announce we were expecting. It is amazing to think about how much has changed since just last year. For starters, these stockings are hanging on a new mantle, in a new home, in a new city. I am no longer working as an accountant, Adam is no longer a student. And the best change of all, our precious baby boy.
.
.
.
.
.
I wanted Carter to have a special stocking so I purchased a cross-stitch stocking pattern with a Santa face. I made it about 100 stitches in and realized that at my current pace the stocking would not be complete until Carter’s 10th birthday or later. I decided to call in reinforcement. My dad is a fabulous cross-stitcher and I was hopeful that he would pick up where I left off. He agreed instantly and I mailed the unfinished product off to Granddaddy’s house. When I would talk to my dad he would give me updates…working on his nose, moving on to his beard, almost done. Then came the dreaded backstitching. For those of you that don’t cross-stitch, backstitching is the very time consuming detail work at the very end of the project that can take hours. For me, the actual cross-stitches are fun because you see progress as you work. But once your overall pattern is finished, I always want to skimp on the backstitching. Not dad. He worked right through it and completed every last stitch.
.
.
.
.
When the stocking arrived I was thrilled. As you can see, it looks amazing and I know Carter will treasure it for many years to come. However, I am sad to report it will not be hanging this year. I had planned on binding and lining the stocking as well, but am fearful of any mistake I might make to dad’s wonderful work. So, after a few calls around town, I have found several professionals who can complete the stocking so Carter can enjoy it for many Christmases to come.
.
.
Thanks Granddaddy for the many, many hours you put into this. It is perfect and I can’t wait to hang it on the mantle so Santa can fill it with lots of toys.
G.G. here - I'll print this out for your dad, but it'll have to be B&W. Hopefully soon he'll be able to see it for himself. Now our phone's out, and they said they'll have it repaired by a week from today!! Had to scrape windows this AM. Ah, winter~ Take care - these looks great!
ReplyDeleteNow that's a good looking Santa. I know Carter will enjoy it. Can't wait to see all the new tricks in person, especially that smile!
ReplyDelete