January 20, 2009

Eeeeek! Update

I think/hope we are now mouse free.

We started this oh so fun adventure last Wednesday. I purchased four of the basic mouse traps at Lowe’s and we loaded them with peanut butter and set the trap. The next morning when the traps were empty I was initially relieved thinking, “maybe those weren’t really mice droppings on the counter…maybe something fell from the ceiling”. But, upon closer examination I realized some of the peanut butter was missing, meaning the mouse got the peanut butter without getting caught. Smart mouse. We tried again Thursday night with the same results. So, on Friday I decided to increase my investment in mouse traps and I purchased a couple of these. On Friday and Saturday night we had four cheap traps and two fancy traps out in the kitchen. Still no success. On Sunday and Monday night we decided to remove the cheap traps as the mouse was obviously able to get the yummy peanut butter without any trouble. Finally, this morning, the little green light was flashing on the trap indicating we had caught our little intruder. Yippee!

Thanks for the e-mails and comments empathizing with our situation and giving mice catching techniques. I think Gramma put it best when she said “There is just not room for a mouse and me in the same house”. I agree completely!

On a brighter note, we had a much more welcome visitor this past weekend. We were all in the kitchen (staring in disbelief at the empty traps) when Adam said “wow!” I thought he saw the mouse and I, of course, jumped. But what he saw was a hawk fly by our kitchen window and into our backyard. He landed on our pergola and stayed long enough for me to snap this picture.

2 comments:

  1. Good Job! Being a Virginia creature, the little fella was harder to "outsmart" than the standard mouse. Glad you won that battle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the hawk had just been a day earlier, you could have invited him in to dinner. Hope catching the one solves the problem.

    ReplyDelete