Carter is not a happy camper right now. After two weeks on the road where we took extra care to rock him to sleep and responded to his cries quicker than normal he is now having to learn again how to put himself to sleep. We put him to sleep tonight and he woke 45 minutes later. We let him cry for 15 minutes or so, then I went to comfort him as the crying was escalating. I put him back in his crib calm and asleep. Ten minutes later he was wailing again. I am writing to try to make the time pass as we wait to comfort him again. It is the hardest thing in the world to sit and listen to your child cry. I know that he had a full bottle, he gave Adam a good burp, his diaper is dry, and he should be tired. But still, I just want to run up the stairs and hold him until he is sleepy again. But still, I can’t run up the stairs and hold him until he is sleepy all night or for the next months or for the next years. So, we are trying to help him learn to fall asleep again in a modified ‘cry it out’ method.
In other news, Adam had his first day of work today as a full-time attorney. No more crazy schedules of school one day, work the next. No more driving an hour for class three days a week. No more working on school projects on Sunday evenings. Although there will be long work days and probably work weekends, I am thankful to be entering a new routine that will last longer than a couple of months for the first time in over 3 years!
Carter is asleep again. We caved and gave him an extra snack – we’ll call it dessert – to help him go back to sleep. You know what they say…you need to sleep when the baby sleeps. So that is what I am about to do.
January 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good job! Your little "happy camper" is a bundle of joy, knows your love, but will have those moments (that seem like hours). Keep up the good work, you are doing a great job.
ReplyDeleteGG here. I remember those nights and feeling torn about going in there or letting Kelly cry it out, knowing she was absolutely okay. Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Kelly also used to have a favorite stuffed animal and I'd rock her to sleep while she held onto her lion, but the second she'd fall asleep, she'd relax her hand and lion would fall and she'd wake up and we'd have to start all over again. Yay for Adam - he'll knock their socks off!
ReplyDeleteGood for you, Tracy! He's old enough to learn, you're not being cruel or neglectful, and it will pay off in the long run! But, I know it can be hard - so you're getting cheers from me in ole' alabama. :)
ReplyDelete