Over the past few days Carter has started pointing at things and communicating with lots of "ehhh" or "ohhh". I have started saying the words of whatever I think he is pointing at. And he seems to study the object and me as we play this new game. Yesterday we had the first of many moments where Carter points but I just don't know what he is pointing at. He was in his high chair for lunch and his eyes and pointer were both aiming pretty high toward the ceiling. So I knelt beside him and tried to look up from his view to see what he was looking at. Aha! We have a clock on the wall above our kitchen cabinets. It has been there since we moved in and we haven't even adjusted the time. I think it is an hour off from daylight savings time. We don't really use it that often - but Carter does! I think he likes the tick tock of the second hand moving around. Once I figured it out I told Carter it was a clock and he seemed satisfied with that.
At dinner time last night the pointing returned and I again told him it was a clock. Well guess what - Carter said "clock" right back. That's right - we have our first word! (we have had lots of da da and ba ba and even ma ma but this is the first word he has imitated and associated with an object.) He said it several more times and again this morning. Although really it was more like "ock" - but it was a new noise for sure and he was imitating my noise. Pretty cool.
I tried to catch it on camera this morning - but mainly I just got lots of video of him stuffing his mouth with cantaloupe. But, if you watch until the end, there is one "ock" sound. So proud. :)
June 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That was great. What a delightful young man
ReplyDeleteLove the videos! What a cutie pie!
ReplyDelete